Every application has deficiencies, so does Outlook. While working on Outlook, if you have noticed that it is being extremely slow or having errors, then your Outlook data file may be corrupted or sometimes when you try to access an Outlook PST file on your system, you may get some familiar error messages like the ones given below.
- “Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience”
- “Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook Window. The set of folders cannot be opened”
- “An unknown error has occurred”
When Outlook encounters such unexpected errors then the reason could be Outlook PST corruption. As these errors may delay your work, it’s better to repair your corrupt .pst file as quick as possible.
How PST file gets damaged?
There are several reasons for the corruption of these files, let’s see few of them:
- Storing large volume of email items
- Abnormal termination of Outlook when file is in use
- Due to Virus and malicious applications
- Header corruption
- Due to operating system re-installation
- Using third-party tools to recover .pst file
- Upgrading Outlook application
Note-Microsoft Outlook 2003/2007 and Outlook 2010 supports .pst file up to 20GB and 50GB respectively, it’s recommended not to keep file larger than 10GB. Further, Outlook 2002 and older versions limit file size to 2GB. Storing files larger than the prescribed limit will damage .pst file.
These problems are frequent when you use Microsoft Outlook. Are you stuck in such similar situation? Do want to know about Windows XP Outlook PST file repair methods? Then continue reading the article.
Solution 1: Using SCANPST.EXE
If you are a Windows user, then you can make use of Inbox Repair tool (SCANPST.EXE).This application can diagnose and repair errors in Outlook data file. Follow the below steps to repair your PST file using this tool.
- Terminate Outlook
- Inside the Search box, type SCANPST.EXE and launch the tool
- Enter the name of the .pst file you want to repair or browse for the desired file
- Click on Start, which begins scanning process and displays errors
- Choose Repair to fix errors
This inbuilt solution does not help when your PST file is severely damaged and hence it can be used only for smaller issues. If the above solution does not help you to repair your corrupt .pst file it’s highly recommended to follow next given solution.
Solution 2: Using Repair tool
Let’s see the steps to fix damaged Outlook data file using a repair tool known as Yodot Outlook PST Repair.
- Navigate here to download Yodot tool on your Windows system
- Run program installation as directed
- Launch the application. Then a Main frame with three options appears, Open PST, Find PST and Select Outlook Profile. Make a proper selection and progress further
- Specify drive path and select a scan method
- Program starts scanning for outlook data and displays repaired Outlook data for preview
- Specify storage path where you want to store all your repaired files
Fixing all kinds of Outlook data file issues is an easy task with the help of a professional Yodot Outlook PST Repair tool. This application successfully mends all your corrupt .pst and .ost files. Best results can be seen as the advanced algorithm performs extensive scanning and thereby fixes corrupt file. You can fix email items such as attachments, images, contacts, notes, calendar etc. and in addition to this it can fix password protected files. This utility is compatible with Microsoft Outlook 2000, 2003, 2007, 2010 and 2013 and further it supports systems running on Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP, 2008 and 2003 Platforms.
How to keep PST files safe?
- Backup your files on a weekly basis as it prevents data loss
- Be watchful while adding untrustworthy Outlook Add-ins as these may cause your file corruption